Re: [WW] Weird Wars Problems - Savage Worlds - D20 Modern

Two weapons that jumped right out at me when i picked up WWII: BotR was
the damage values of the M1 Garand and the M1 carbine.  i have had the
opportunity to shoot both and, contrary to what's in the book, they do
not fire even remotely the same caliber. The M1 Garand fires a .30-06
that packs a whallop of recoil and should do it's stated 2d8. On the
other hand, the M1 Carbine fires a .30 carbine round with considerably
less punch.

i would change the M1 carbine to 2d6 damage.

-->While it may seem like the .30 doesn't pack the same punch as the
.30-06, the human body won't be able to tell the difference between the
two at less than 300 yds.  The .30 carbine's lack of punch is expressed
in it's range increment, as it has a much shorter effective range.  In
terms of ballistic damage, at normal combat ranges, there is no
significant difference between the .30-06 and the .30 carbine.  The
.30-06 will not cause any more damage to a human body than the .30 at
normal effective ranges (up to 300 yds or so).  Add to this that the base
line for damage is the 9mm (2d6), with the effective similarities of the
.30 and .30-06,  2d6 would be short changing the .30.  As I see things,
the .30 is in line with the .30-06, factoring in all aspects.  Somewhere
I have the FBI's ballistic damage report and tables, which details the
wound aspects of various calibres and weapons.  As I recall, except in
terms of armor penetration, generalizations for wide varities of calibres
can easilly be made for translating into game mechanic terms.

Josh R

"No matter where you go, there you are."  B.Bonzai