Re: [WW] Rules Question; Shotguns

As side note though,
Americans have always had a soft spot in their hearts for the shotgun.
Its, big, loud, and puts an open spot where the enemy's chest used to be.
Americans have used shotguns in every conflict it has ever participated in.

During the Great War the Americans used the M1897 "Trench Broom". A 12 gauge, slide action, shotgun with a bayonet lug.  The Germans declared that the shotgun was barbarous and that they would execute any American captured with a shotgun.  The American response was that if any American was executed by Germany, ALL German prisoners in American custody and ALL Germans captured in the future, would be immediately executed.  No American shotgunners were executed.

Another game note of historic value.  The WW I shotgun rounds were in an all brass cartridge.  Millions of rounds were left at the end of the war and put into storage.  During WW II the military attempted to use the commercial paper and brass cartridges, as they were less expensive than all brass cartridges.  However, the paper cartridges would absorb water if in a humid climate, like the pacific jungles, or a muddy European battlefield.  The cartridges would then swell and be unusable.  The old brass cartridges were brought out and used again.  During Vietnam, the Americans tried the new brass and plastic commercial shotgun cartridges, as they were cheaper than all brass, and did not absorb water like paper.  However when in heavy use, like in a firefight, the shotgun becomes hot enough to melt plastic, which then gums up the action and renders the weapon unusable.  The 40 - 50 year old brass cartridges were used once again.

Shotguns are great. And always remember that the sound made by a slide action shot gun is immediately recognizable to everyone, even if they have never heard it before.  And very intimidating.

G’day
frempath