[WW] Re: Skills

> > Boat & Ship piloting Boat maybe, ship no
> Splitting them makes it too complicated.

I see your pint and agree but there is a lot of
difference between a motor launch and even a small
freighter. Just up the difficulty, and for many
routine maneuvres you can take 10.

> > Demolitions    no
> How complicated were the demolitions back then?  Or
> is it also a measure
> of placing the demolitions for most damage?

Placemnet is very important, it can make the
difference between cosmetic damage and a collapsed
bridge. I dont think the basic techniques have changed
much at all, just the materials and some new toys.

> > Driving        yes if from a 'modern' culture
> where driving is common, no if otherwise.
> Not everyone can drive.  I guess anyone could try
> though.

> > Firefighting   No (it's harder than it looks,
> >                especially on a ship)
> How so?

Flooding for a start. A liner in port (New York?) that
caught fire rolled over because the fire fighters
managed to put too much water too high up in the ship.
The wartime Japanese navy were notorious for poor
damage control in part because any promising officers
went in to the more glamorous and 'honourable' deck
and gunnery branches and left the 'also rans' for
damage control.

Not sure about mechanic, I suspect skilled.
If observation is 'Forward Observer' then it should be
skilled.
I agree completely with you about piloting!

Michael