Re: [werewolf] Options: recruiting and simultaneous nights

On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 01:20:57PM -0400, Gregory Krohne wrote:
> I tried to post the code to the group, but it's too big. So, I emailed
> the code to Mark Ballinger. Here's my original summary message:
>
> On 9/12/05, Gregory Krohne <krohne@gmail.com> wrote:
> > This is my attempt to add simultaneous night attacks (werewolf &
> > mafia) and recruiting for werewolves/mafia. I think I don't quite have
> > the placement correct for when the turn number changes. Also, I
> > haven't successfully tested what happens with these options. You may
> > notice a few other... ah... changes as I tried to rationalize the code
> > to the way I think it's supposed to work. I hope that you see them as
> > improvements.

Here's the only problem I see:

return SendError("$gametype $mode error","A werewolf can only '$mode' a villager")
 if ($status{$who} ne villager && $mode eq 'bite');

So, night number one.  One wolf selects each person in turn for biting.  Now, he knows who are the villagers and who are the "specials".

This has been my concern about what is now "bite/make".  How do we do it and not leak info to the wolves.  If only plain villagers can be bitten, then we probably want to say "okay, wolfie, you've chosen", then that night we need to say "nobody died".  But,
Eric for one has always wanted bite to work on anybody.  Say you bite a mafia.  Can't he now join the wolves too!?  Say you bit a mason.  Now you've got a killer spy.

But, to do that we'll need to change the data fields so a player is not just a "villager" or "mason" or "dead-villager".  We need to allow for multiple roles.

That, however, is for another day.  To get bite into production, let's remove the line I'm quoting above and just fail the bite when the night finishes.

> Lee Griffin added the code to number the turns.

Looks good.

> I added some hash tables to do lookups that were done with cascading if-then's.

Thanks much!  There's alot more that could be done in this vein, a new code plumbers usually have more fun doing this than the tired-eyes do.

> The night-time processing has been heaviliy reworked to accomodate the
> simultaneous mafia/werewolf attacks and recruiting. I think I
> defaulted everything to work the same as before these options, but I
> haven't run a complete game cycle to test it

Yep.  Testing is a must before we unleash it.