[werewolf] Re: Werewolf Newbie

I had a few questions about Werewolf, is this a good place to ask them?

Welcome, Mike! This is as good a place as any!

I noticed most of the players seemed to have alises, but I have not seen a command to set them.

This is because the documentation needs to be updated. To set your alias, just add it as an extra parameter, at the very end of the line, when you join.

Board 199 is using factionimmunity option, I could not find that in the help.

Ditto, re: the documentation. This option prevents the werewolves from killing the mafia, or vice-versa, until the number of players remaining reaches a certain level (I forget what).

How is the Illusionist counted for victory?

"The illusionist knows, in advance, the roles of all of the bad guys and seeks a win for the werewolves or the mafia (if the game has mafia)."

2 Villagers, 2 Werewolves, 3 Mafia, 1 Illusionist
Is that a mafia win, 4 to 4?
If not, how is 4 to 4 tie votes handled if noone is willing to change, 2V & 2W vote to lynch a M, while 3M & 1I vote to lynch a W?

"The mafia seek to eliminate the villagers and the werewolves. The werewolves must eliminate the villagers and the mafia to gain a werewolf win."

Something else that is not documented is that each game usually has a theme, and we set our aliases according to the theme of the game. Since the program does not have a "theme" option yet, the person who creates the particular instance of the game joins, as the first player, using the name of the theme as his alias. When the game is ready to play, he resigns under that alias, and joins under another. Thus, if you send a "list werewolf" command to the server, and you see a game that is still accepting signups, the first name on the list (which may not even appear to be a name) is the name of the theme.

Come and join us! Game 199 is already well underway, with the theme of "Pirates" (Arrrr!). Since the next game will be the milestone of number 200, we had a special game for 198, where the theme was to choose a theme for 200. One of the winners was "Parties," but I'm not sure if that decision has been finalized yet. Stay tuned to this list for further details!

One last thing: If you are still a little uncertain about joining a game just yet, use the "subscribe" command ("werewolf subscribe userid password board") to watch what goes on in a running game. You may still do that now, for game 199, but it is nearing the end.

Enjoy!