[DL] Chips: Legendary Proximity Chip

In a message dated 1/10/00 7:32:40 PM Pacific Standard Time,
bleybourne@hotmail.com writes:

<< >Lilac (purple royal and dream like) - (1-point bounty / Counts as a Plot
 >[player gives storyteller an reasonable idea for a character related story
 >plot] or Item [player with 5-grit can have one of his items become magical
 >by
 >"good" spirits . . . +1 to hit Handgun, +1d6 to damage Tomahawk, Full Flask
 >of Whisky/1day, items can slowly become more powerful over time or newer
 >lesser items can be imbued]).

 Hmm... maybe, but when would the players 'earn' one? Or are you suggesting
 just having one in the pot and cycling it every time it gets pulled?

 Brian "Oh alright. I made the Arcane Chip" Leybourne. >>

Legendary Proximity Chip

This would be for experienced players or at least a storyteller with a good
handle on his game.  I would put one in the pot from the beginning so's that
if a lucky cowpoke draws it he can name a theme or plot involving his
character (loosely of course - no finding hoyles original manuscripts in the
outhouse or anything).  That way the folk who draws it can have a legitimate
claim on an adventure idea - turn in the chip and ask for a mystery, horror,
dungeon crawl, love story, rail war, vampire story, family bit or whatever
floats the players boat.  Just tell your players the request may take an
adventure or so to see the light of day if it is odd (and of course flat out
reject some ideas, within reason).  This way players can explore bits that a
storyteller may pass over.

I would put one in when (or sometimes after, as appropriate) each player hits
5-grit.  At 5-grit the player becomes worthy of cashing in the chip to gain a
minor magical boost (or a plot) to one of her long held items (a bit of the
legendary adventurer life worn off on the darn thing I reckon).  I would
award such a chip to players that fit the bill.  In my fantasy game the
players all received one such "Legendary Proximity Point" at the end of
adventures where there story effected the world and there legend was worthy
to be told for generations to come (even if it has not started to be told as
of the time period for whatever reason).  So grit-5 would be the lowest point
in the story where such a thing as cashing in a Legendary Proximity Chip to
imbue a item with a bit of the owners personality would be possible, mayhaps
having a skill at 6 or higher as well, or other "high level" indicators.

Ta,
Rich