Re: [DL] Agency Questions....

In a message dated Wed, 2 Feb 2000  5:54:46 PM Eastern Standard Time, XRebelX@aol.com writes:

>      This concerns Agency operatives.     Now I know that the source book is
> coming out in a couple of months (and I personally can't wait!), but as I am
> about to start running one in my posse's campaign,   there are a couple of
> questions I kind of need answered.

Okay, since you asked nicely... ;-)

Bear in mind these are _really_ short answers to what are at times complex situations, but I'll give you what I can in a few sentences.

>      1> I know that the old Pinkertons were considered 'private citizens' but
> are Agency operatives?     They have the Law Man Edge, like Pinkertons I
> assume, but do they hold the same power of arrest, jurisdiction,
> responsibility that sat the Texas Rangers do?     They 'handle' spies,
> sabatours, etc, so that leads me to think that they DO have some form of
> arrest powers.....maybe those that involve "National Security".     How about
> it?

They don't have the Law Man edge; Agents have no authority of arrest, search, etc. They do, however, have a writ requiring the full participation of Union law enforcement officials.

Now, in practice, this is seldom used for several reasons.

One, how likely is it that the corrupt sheriff of Podunk (Springs), Montana is going to honor some "high-falutin'" law from Washington, D.C. about who he has to cowtow to? Answer--not a sure thing. Rather than risk it, most operatives work around the law.

Two, how can an agent cover up an obviously supernatural event if he calls in the town marshal, his deputies and a duly deputized posse? Answer--not very. Therefore, if an agent does call on the law, he's going to have already developed--and laid the foundation for--a very plausible, non-supernatural explanation to what's going on.

Three, how likely is a judge to issue a search warrant or arrest warrant for a supernatural event--that the Agency denies exists in the first place? I think that one answers itself. ;-)

That said, like all citizens, operatives can arrest/detain anyone they witness in the commission of a felony. Beyond that, if they want legal backup, they've got to swing it from an outside source.

>      2> Do the all carry some form of I.D.?     A badge of some kind or some
> kind of documentation or credentials?     I seem to recall some of the
> profiles and archetypes had one or both of these items.

Yes, they do have I.D. of some sort. The jury's still out on exactly what it is, but it will most likely be a document of some sort. However, the operative won't always carry the papers and they certainly won't go flashing them around.

>      3> Do they maintain open, public offices, storefronts, etc?     The
> Castle is common knowledge as, I am led to believe, the Western Branch office
> in Denver, but are others?     Do they maintain offices , say, in the
> disputed lands where Union loyals and citizens can go with problems, troubles
> and evidence that falls under Agency jurisdiction?

The Agency facilities are never common knowledge. Word of the main facilities may leak out (rather like Langley or Area 51 in real life) but the government never admits to the existence thereof.

Think of the Agency as a 19th century NSA or CIA and you'll be right 90% of the time. There are lots of rumors about them, but few people know the real story. They maintain an air of mystery and authority, but they still have to operate according to the Constitution and laws of the land.

As long as anybody is watching...

;-)

John Goff