Re: [DL] Alternative DL figures....

On Fri, 11 Feb 2000, direwolf wrote:

>    Not to step on any Pinnacle toes over miniatures, and I can't remember
> if anyone has mentioned these before, but I staggered across this sight,
> and it has some snazzy Old West figures, including zombie gunfighters.
> Until/if there are more Deadlands official figures, I might snag a few of
> these.
>
> http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/OldWest.html
>
> Steve

	Hi all,

	I spent the money to get their general catalogue (which has the
western figures in) and I must say that I liked the variety and detail
contained in the models. However, the sample western minatures they sent
caused me some concern. The main  problem is scale. The PEG minitures are
oversized 30mm. while the Foundry are more realistic 25 or 28mm. When I
comparedthe samples with the gunmen from the GRW boxed set, they looked
like pygies. As much as I wanted to, I couldnt use the two types of
models together, without serious visual dissonance.
	Suffice to say that this is a real bugger. The Foundry models are
very cheap (especially with their special deals, you can get their entire
50 model western range for 20 quid or something!!)  but lack the 'weird'
models like Hangin Judges, Nosferrets, Automatons etc. In the end, I went
with the vastly more expensive PEG models, simply so I could use them both
in GRW and my Deadlands RPG campaign.
	If you wanted a 'non-weird' GRW game (say between Dixie Rails and
Union Blue) then I'd go with Foundry, its a lot cheaper plus they do a
nice 'Rules with No Name' game, which I think is a bit faster moving than
GRW.
	My current question, though is whether the cardstock cowboys are
the right scale for use with GRW? A mixture of them and some of the
original PEG  minitures will probably be the best solution for me, Now i'm
strapped of cash!

	Steve Ellis