Re: [DL] Movement Issues - Goff

>Hmmmm, where to start?  I guess we're just used to a more rigid system for
>handling movement durring combat.  The hassle becomes when people (posse
>members and bad guys) are moving durring combat.  For example, lets say the
>Ranger is unhappy with the range penalties for shooting the bad guy.  So,
>logically, he wants to move in closer.  Lets say he wants to get 10' closer.
>His pace is 10 so, this should be easily accomplished in 1 round.  However,
>at what point in the round has he successfully traversed the distance?

On the action he moves.  They used to have a system where you would divide
your movement by the number of actions you had - but that had the
consequence of the 2 action guy moving faster per action then the 4 action
guy.

You might also want to explore the speed chart possibility - I haven't
figured the math, but you break down the movement so that on every count, a
Pace X guy moves 1 hex, a Pace Y guy moves 1.5 hexes (1 then 2 then 1), and
a Pace Z guy moves 2 hexes - or something like that.  Doubled for running.

It would bring a more tactical feel to the game - we used something like
that in a DnD game - and it's not hard to setup.  Just a simple chart.  The
drawback is that every action count kicks in - Ace - each player and NPC
moves a hex.  King.  move another hex.  Queen - one player acts, and
everyone moves a hex.

Though to solve the problem your player had below - of people dissapearing
behind cover - I have a house rule for getting the drop on someone called
under the hammer.

Basically - by taking an additional -2 penalty, a shooter can roll to hit
someone but instead of doing damage right away - they can hold off -
keeping the target under the hammer.  Instead of tossing the action card
they just used back into the pile, they keep it as if it was up their
sleeve.  At anytime they want - including pre-empting an action by the
target - they can "fire" and automatically hit the target by using this card.

Now - the target can get from under the hammer by:  Using a Red Joker.
Getting a raise over the firer in a quickness/quickdraw roll in order to
act simultaneously, getting two raises over the firer to act right before,
or by beating the firer in a test of wills. (With a bonus to the firer
because the target is in an inferior bargaining position).

The firer relinquishes the hammer if he: Gets the Black Joker, loses a test
of wills, or takes his concentration away from the target.  (Takes a
non-simple action, gets stunned, fails a surprise check, etc.)

I like it because it gives the posse a non-lethal option - they can secure
their position without "wasting" time by talking.  They can put someone
under the hammer first and then try an talk to 'em.

It also gives my mooks an option - one that makes even the toughest posse
think twice about charging 20 bandits.
Allan Seyberth
darious@darious.com
Deadlands fan site - www.darious.com/deadlands

Why did the chicken cross the road?

Tiggr:
That's the wonderful thing about Chickens, Chasing Chickens is FUN FUN FUN,
And the Wonderful thing about Chickens
Is that when crossing streets they RUN RUN RUN!