Re: [DL] Bayonet [John]

In a message dated Fri, 25 Feb 2000 12:43:05 AM Eastern Standard Time, "Eric Young" <ecyoung@mediaone.net> writes:

> What about shotguns? I've seen examples of shotguns with bayonets (sometimes
> referred to as Trench Guns) used in W.W.I.

I'm iffy on it. Again, maybe if we're talking about a weapon specifically designed for the military (as the trench guns were). However, the standard single- and double-barrelled shotguns--absolutely not. Even the pumps of the period were somewhat quirky and the shock of bayonet combat would likely knock the loading mechanism off track.

But, if you have one specifically built for the stagnant warfare Back East, I could be convinced, but it would be primarily military and not likely to be carried in the local general store. ;-)

In truth, bayonets are really only handy for soldiers. Joe Schmoe miner isn't likely to want one (in real life, anyway; RPG player characters, as we know, is another matter altogether <g>).

> As for the Winchester (and lever-actions in general), they don't usually
> hold up too well to the kind of stresses involved in hand-to-hand combat.

Case in point regarding 19th century pump shotguns...

:-)

John