[DL] Western medicine

This has been puzzling me for some time.  When someone takes wounds, either
by being out of chips or refusing to spend them, my posse likes to let the
medical doctor patch the guy up before bringing magic/miracles to bear on
the problem (It lowers their TN, don'cha know).

The questions are these:  how many wound levels can the surgeon fix?  Is it
one, flat out?  Or one for each success and raise?  Or one per attempt?

Once the surgeon has healed a guy up from Critical to Serious, can he try
again to get from Serious to Heavy, and so on?

If a limb is Maimed, can the surgeon fix it, or can he only cut it off
cleanly and bandage?

I've read the sections on healin' repeatedly, but I can't seem to get these
answers from the text.  I recall one book had surgery times by wound level.
(Law Dogs?)  That book might have some of what I want to know, but I'm away
from it right now and don't want to have to bring this subject up twice.
I've also checked the Accumulated Rulings with no success.

David
(Seems like all I do is come on here and ask really basic questions.)