Re: [DL] Rpg classes

On Mon, 01 May 2000, "Ronald Conner" wrote:

> Ps. Do any of the guys at pinnicle have degrees in anything?  Can you get a
> degree in RPGs?

Hey Ron,

I can't tell you how lucky you are to have asked this question on this list.  No advice given so far has been anything less than very helpful!  You have asked about something that is near and dear to all of us on this list.  (I think that the vast majority of gamers who have been to college fondly remember thier college games.)  Please, take all the wonderful advice to heart!

Let me also add some more advice.  Take some Business classes.  Not only are they very practical, they encourage critical thinking, and they are VERY helpful at getting your fledgeling gaming company off the ground.  I strongly suspect that Shane has sat through a few Business Strategy classes.  (Although maybe I'm projecting.)

Also take Drama classes!  I am so glad I took acting in College.  It makes me a better player, and a better GM (Marshall.)  They are a blast too.  And some of the most fun people you will ever meet are in the Drama department.  Trust me on this one.  Best decision I ever made.  Before that I was well on my way to being a Nuclear Engineer.  (*SHUDDER*)

Finally, in answer to your question.  Berkley or Stanford (more likely Stanford) has a degree in gaming.  I have fantasized about that course one more than once.  TWO NOTES HOWEVER - it is a statistical / mathematical course discussing specifically descrete probability.  You would have to be a math geek like me to really get your jollies.  Also, it is ALL gaming - ie Poker, Blackjack, Monopoly, etc.  It certainly does not focus on Role-Playing

Even if this is an option, TAKE WELL ROUNDED CLASSES.  The stats is such a small part of gaming. (One that I, personally, disproportionately enjoy.)  Pych, Sociology, History, Economics (especially Historical Economics - no really I love my Econ of Fudalism class)and you other "soft" sciences will get you further in gaming than being able to find the "average" poker hand when drawing 6 cards.

One last piece of advice.  Gaming is at its best a social activity.  As I explained it to my wife, it is the same as a weekly game of Poker with the guys - only anyone can play, and I am only out Pizza money!  But that captures the feel of gaming.  So, I guess I am saying learn how to be sociable.  Make friends - not just gaming friends - but across the entire spectrum of society.  College is a chance to take chances - try on new identities, meet people who you would never talk to, and expand your horizons.

Enjoy

Jeff "I am slightly envious" Tolle

Why pay when you don't have to? Get AltaVista Free Internet Access now!
http://jump.altavista.com/freeaccess4.go