[DL] Alternate methods of character generation?

Let me start off by saying that I very much like how cards, poker
chips and dice fit into the DL rules system.  These resolution
methods give the game a good "feel"...

However, I'm wondering if anyone has developed a non-random method for
obtaining Traits and Trait Levels.  IMHO, I think characters are hit a
bit too hard when a player pulls a duece (or two).  However, if you
allow players to pull as many 12 card combinations as they want until
they find one they're happy with, you're essentially providing an
imbalanced (in favor of the player) non-random system.

I know the marshal's book outlines a way to create a character (using
2d6 as an average), but it's more of a guideline than a system.  One
idea I had was to remove deuces and aces from the deck before a player
drew for Traits.. That way they aren't getting screwed by pulling a
duece, but at the same time, they aren't going to get a d12 unless
they pull a joker.  I haven't taken the time to figure out how much
that will affect the statistics of pulling other cards...

Also, it seems that the system to determine Bounty Points (K+C+Sm)
favors "mental" aspected characters more than corporeal characters.
The extreme range for starting Bounty Points (not including
Hindrances) is 12-36, though 18-30 occurs more frequently.  Has anyone
used a "fixed" Bounty Point number instead of the K+C+Sm method?

I'd love to hear from experienced marshals on how the current
character creation system "feels" to them and from people that have
taken a good, hard look at analyzing the build system.

Chris "let players play what they want to" Carpinello