RE: [DL] Alternate methods of character generation?

If you think a deuce is too hard on a character make it up to them
somehow.....I had this idea about letting a character who got a Deuce have a
skill at level 5 under the Trait they used the Deuce for.  For example,
since most people I know (munchkins) would put there d4 in Mien I would give
them a 5d4 in Persuasion, this gives them something fun to try to role-play
and for using this I might reward occasionally trying to use this sort of
like a hindrance.  I thought giving them a 5 in something could be
entertaining, I'm weird like that.

I also have given players a small edge that would be beneficial but not
overly powerful to help them along as a reward for getting a Deuce, you
could throw a Knack their way or give them something related to their
background information, maybe a "Friend in a High Place."

Most of all if I feel a character is too weak, especially in comparison to
the other PCs, I might throw some ideas at him to try and help him out.
Especially, if the player seems to dislike his character, because most of
all you want everyone to enjoy themselves.  But remember, no matter how weak
or strong a character appears on paper, players will often surprise you by
doing things you never would have considered for example a character in one
of my games had the best imaginable stats all d10s and d12s playing a
Huckster but he was no where near as powerful as the 2 gunslingers with
their majority d6 stats all because he wanted to play a more "magic"
orriented character who didn't use guns so while they killed 4 or more
zombies a round he might kill one or 2 because his spells weren't as good as
cold steel, later he took to being more of a leader type character and he
began to excell just as they exceled at killing things.

I guess the most important point in this rambling mess is if the character
isn't comfortable with his character help him out or maybe let him redraw
his hand but don't think the character can't be good with d4s because with a
little ingenuity they can be stronger than someone with all d12s.

									Later,
									   Charles
Charles Bowden
shadow@intrstar.net