Re: [DL] So now what?

At 12:12 PM 6/3/00 -0400, you wrote:
>That sounds cool, sounds similar to a game I once played called "Lunch
Money".  Is this game
>sold at mos game stores?

Not quite - but with a similar irreverent attitude.

Cheap Ass Games's philosophy is that while games have gotten more expensive
- the core components, the inner mechanics - the game itself as it were -
has not changed.  It's the fancy multicolor maps, and plastic molded pieces
 and Renaissance quality artwork, etc. that makes even the simplest
boardgame cost $30-$50.  So they went simple.

Like chess - you can play on a $1000 dark oak and birch carved board with
ebony and ivory sculpted pieces, or you can play with super cheap plastic
pieces on a cardboard board.  The game itself, is the same.

What CAG gives you is the rules, non-duplicatable items like cards (on
cardstock) and maps in a little envelope.   For $3-$6.  You supply the dice
and counters.
IMO about a third of the games are phenomenal and I've had a blast playing
them and would play them again and again (Kill Dr. Lucky, Bitin' Off Headz)
and about a third of 'em were okay, worth playing a couple of times (Give
me the Brain, Deadwood), and a third of 'em just flat were unplayable
(Before I kill you Mr. Bond, Hong Kong Shopping Spree)

Which is about the ratio of what I get when I buy regular boardgames.  1/3
top notch, 1/3 okay, 1/3 barking dogs of dismal doom.  But - getting a dog
for $5 hurts a lot less then shelling out $50 for one.

>> To keep it not too off-topic, they just put out $1.00 expansions (called
-- Another Day,
>> Another Dollar) that add Kung-Fu movies or Horror movies to the line up.

Now that's good to know.

Allan Seyberth
darious@darious.com
Deadlands fan site - http://www.darious.com/deadlands/index.html