Re: [DL] Question for John regarding Eternal Hero...

--- Allan Seyberth <darious@darious.com> wrote:
> At 02:42 PM 6/3/00 -0400, you wrote:
> >I see that the VotWW is different than in HOE.  In
> Weird West, it gives the
> >player a point of grit but it doesn't in HoE, in
> fact in HoE the eternal
> >hero has to have NO chips to have a shot at making
> the Spirit roll.  Is this
> >intentional?  Can the eternal hero spend all his
> chips to prevent wounds
> >even though he knows it won't save him, just to
> make the roll?
>
> The "official" ruling is to go with the latest usage
> of the rules - so
> Eternal Hero grants a point of grit and the sprit
> roll can be made while
> you still have fate chips.
>
> But the HoE version does address one potential
> abusing mechanic.  The PC
> with 10 fate chips who doesn't bother to spend them
> to negate damage, just
> to help him make the spirit roll.  And you can bet
> that this type of player
> has done everything he can to get to a 6d12 Spirit.
>   If I had such a
> player in my game, I would state that if he had the
> ability to avoid the
> damage with fate chips and didn't, then he couldn't
> spend them to help with
> the spirit roll.

Why not say:
   A) Fate chips cannot be used for that spirit roll
   B) He gets a -1 per fate chip in his pocket for
that spirit roll (ergo the person hoarding 10 chips
gets a -10, so he would most likely not make the roll.
 Better to spend chips)

-Munch Wolf