Re: [DL] Thoughts on Adventures

> It's not even a case of boycotting the company -- I
> COULDN'T
> > use anything published after Immortal Storm because those events didn't
> > happen in my version of Mystara.
>
> I have to agree to a degree.  Some people can't run published adventures,
> and it's usually because the posse just isn't at a point where it would
work
> (f'rinstance, if you start your campaign in 1876, and your posse's still
in
> that year, it won't work for you), or people just don't like them, or they
> can barely afford the supplements the way it is and would rather buy books
> than adventures (right here, folks!).  The concept is cool, but they way
> it's being implmented just doesn't seem to be quite balanced.

Okay, you all know I'm a pretty upfront guy. I think some of you are missing
the point.

(BTW, Nick, I'm not picking on you in particular, here--it just let me get
two messages with one. <g>)

The "official" Deadlands setting _will_ advance; that's a fact. If it
doesn't, our story dies and we don't want that for two reasons: 1) we like
the story and setting and have a lot of plans for it, and 2) it helps keep
us solvent as a company <g>. A sizeable percentage of fans purchase the
books just to read; setting updates, like ToT '77 are in the top 3 most
requested sourcebooks.

Now, that said, I think the players should be the focal point of a setting.
I obviously can't make each and every group's actions "official," and adapt
the storyline to them, but I can try to work it so the greatest number of
players see the setting advance in a direction that they had a hand in
shaping.

Your groups won't suffer for not participating in the adventures at all.
That's gospel and you can quote me on it.

Personally, I _really_ like what the writers have done with the tasks so
far, and I think they're among our best ever, but I understand not wanting
to play a pre-written adventure. If your group chooses not to play the
adventure, that's fine. The effects of it are no different than a usual
setting update.

We're just trying to open the doors to the playground as wide as we can. :-)

BTW, as it's 4am, I may aound a little cranky--if so, please excuse me, it's
not intentional. :-)

John