Re: [DL] only a little OT, or not even, really.

Top 5 RPG's

We are ready for some prime flamewar materials here, we should probably keep
this OT but ...

1) Runequest (beyone class/level into skill based)
2) Call of Cthulhu (characters that actually get MORE messed up as they
"progress"? -- unbeatable monsters? -- it'll never sell, never)
3) Deadlands
4) Traveller:TNE (death to the Imperium!!!!, monolithically boring and
authoritarian as it is.  Taking the good stuff out of Twillight 2000,
Brillian Lances and Battle Rider were two GREAT wagames that were closely
integrated to the RPG)
5) Bushido (FGU) WHY?  Everything was resolved w. a d20 roll, and damage
assessed by d6.  If you roll a 10, and your skill was @ 17, you generated 7
Task Points -- this simple mechanic allowed you to resolve ANY task.
Cracking a lock -- gotta generate 25 Task Points or something total before
the baddies whack you.  Writing a synthesis of Budhist and Shinto cosmology,
same deal (slightly different time scale).  PLUS great rules for resolving
PC downtime, PC involvement w. battles, discrimination between Lethal and
Non-Lethal damage, synthesizing abstract character classes graded by "level"
a la D&D with skill-based systems, point-system character design.  Like most
early RPG's the game was poorly laid out and presented -- like a wargame it
gave you movment and time scales before proceeding to tell you what kind of
STORIES the game was oriented to telling.  Plus the game mechanic was shared
with Daredevils.  FGU had a great "multi-genre" system -- too bad they never
made it the standard with all their games.