[DL] Ironclad Colors Question

     Ok folks I am planning on panting a very nice 25mm, resin Ironclad
model I got last x-mass.  My question is this...What is the "normal" color
of the metal plates on the Ironclad  Grey, Black, Iron Metallic, White.... I
know for a while around the turn of the century US ocean going steamers were
white (if the Olympia at Philly is any indication) but that is about the
extent of my historical knowledge on the subject. At least the decks are
easy.  Wood planks...I'm guessing brown :)
    For those who care I just got a flier from Miniature Service Center
which includes 25mm models of the Monitor and the C.S.S. David (A
semi-submersible torpedo boat ...spar torpedo that is) both by Village Green
IIRC.  Add in the Clan Wars Water Dragon as a Maze Dragon and my GRW/HN
Great Maze slug fest is shaping up nicely!

Paul "Big plans and no time " Wilson