Re: hit locations (was: [DL] only a little OT, or not even, really.)

Back in the days of ancient times, we played a game called Aftermath by
Fantasy Games Unlimited.  (aftermath? what's that-must be some ancient game
my grandpa played)
They had a hit location chart with 30 locations & used a 20 sided die to
determine where you were hit with arm & leg hits being rolled odd or even
for left or right.  It worked fairly well except that we always seemed to
get hit in the foot or in the nutsack(sorry for the language ladies).
Our characters made sure to get some solid footgear & a cup that would stop
an anti-tank round!!
It had enough locations so that you could pretty well figure out just what
you could still do in combat.  A hit in the hand was one thing but a hit in
the elbow pretty much meant your arm was useless for any heavy activity.
You of course had to use some common sense & a little role-playing to
reflect where you were hit.  Just saying something like "I hop across the
compound" was enough to let the GM remember that you had a hit in the leg.
I like realism in a game but 1000 hit locations & hit results is WAY TOO
MANY!!

cammy@centurytel.net