Re: hit locations (was: [DL] only a little OT, or not even, really.)

> > They had 1000 (yes one thousand) different hit locations on the body...
It
> > would make a great combat system to use for the Fallout 3 CRPG.
>
> Hey, is there a way I can get my hands on that table?  I'd LOVE to have
> something like that for when I want to get REALLY detailed for hit
location.
> On that note, does ANYONE have any tables that they've come up with for
> non-human targets?  I had to fly by the seat of my pants Saturday when I
> used Los Diablos.
>
> Nick Zachariasen

The hit location tables were several pages (actually 22 pages would be more
than several wouldn't it?) long and really only make sense if you use the
Phoenix Command Combat System. Although they did make a Wild West supplement
for the system...  The extra detail can be pretty cool though and can lead
to some great role playing since the player knows EXACTLY what has happened
to his character. For example; shot through the lung, talk with a bubbling
gasping voice.

Here's an example of the kind of result you'd get...

Black Bob just shot at Dirty Dan with a Winchester Model 1876 and for the
sake of this example we'll just assume he hit and the range was 80 yards and
he was firing from the side (yes, it makes a big difference). So, you'd roll
3 D10 (but you use them to generate a number between 000-999) and your
result is 272;  which means we go to damage table S14. At a range of 80
yards the Winchester Model 1876 has a Penetration of 3.8 and a Damage class
of 8. Referencing the damage table with these numbers we see that the bullet
hits the lower chest in the side, shatters a rib, goes right through the
stomach, and the liver, and is lodged halfway through the rib on the other
side of the body. This results in a total of 27,000 Damage points... this
result is almost certainly more than 3 times Dirty Dan's Knockout Value
(average human KV is around 40), which means there's a 99% chance that Dirty
Dan is down and in shock (and in a minute or two he'll be dead). Even if
there was a doctor nearby, with the medical technology level of the
Deadlands time period he'll still be dead. In fact even with modern medical
technology and if he was rushed to a trauma center he's still only got a 45%
chance of survival...

I can't understand why people complain that the Deadlands combat system
takes too long. Obviously these people have never played games like
Starfleet Battles, and Advanced Squad Leader, or used the Phoenix Command
Combat System...

Eric