Re: [DL] Are We Doing It Correctly?

Okay, I think I've got the info to answer this one now...

:-)

> >>Sounds like either your NPC wasn't quite as powerful as you thought in
> relation to the posse (harrowed powers aren't always a guarantee of
> success, trust me on this *g*)<<
>
>    He's got decent Vigor. What I think did him in was the Stun checks.
Once
> he started collecting wounds, he just couldn't make them with the wound
> penalties. If he was stunned, he couldn't do much else but become
> "unstunned," right?

The comment I saw earlier was that once he'd accumulated so many wounds, he
couldn't make a Stun check without rolling a couple of Aces.

At first, I thought, "Wow! He must have had like 1d4 Vigor!" Now, I think I
see where the confusion comes from...

Only take the wound modifier from the highest wound level, not all the
wounds combined. That means, the highest modifier he should _ever_ have
received was -5, assuming he had a maimed limb--which makes his highest
possible Stun check TN a 12. Tough on 4d8, but far from impossible.

Two recommendations from my own experience.

First, I usually don't have players (or NPCs) apply wound modifiers to stun
checks; I know the rules say different...but who cares? I do apply them to
the recovery roll, but not the initial check to avoid it. Do what works for
(and makes sense to) you. :-)

Second, give your big bad guys something to help them out here. Undead or
some other ability that helps them overcome/ignore Stun/Wind is always a
_good_ thing. Otherwise, you'll always run the same risk you just
encountered. ;-)

John Goff