Re: [DL] Combined format?

At 11:59 PM 9/23/00 -0400, you wrote:

coburn@sympatico.ca wrote:

>Well, I'm only a single consumer, I don't expect my thoughts on the matter
>will result in any policy changes.  On the other hand, pixels are free, so I
>am going to hit you all with them anyhow.

>I love Deadlands.  I enjoy playing, and I buy quite a bit of the material.
>So do a number of my players, though by no means all of them.

>I am not interested in Hell on Earth.  The subject matter just doesn't
>appeal, nor frankly does the presentation.  Obviously I haven't looked at
>Lost Colony, but if I'm going to play/run a sci-fi game, I'd play Traveller
>first and a couple of others a distant second.

I firmly agree with this.

Frankly, I don't think I could be less interested in post-holocaust worlds
-- I find them macho and silly -- and I've never been particularly
impressed by Hell on Earth specifically.  The only elements of HoE that I
like are those that have carried over from the Weird West, and I prefer
them in their original form.

From what I've heard of the world of Lost Colony so far, I'm just not
interested.  I've found that the "exploring a bizarre otherworld" works
better in fantasy than in sci-fi, since you aren't limited by common sense.
 For me, fun sci-fi is DS9/Babylon 5 kind of stuff, interstellar war and
diplomacy and interacting with dozens of different races.  Even if I liked
Lost Colony, I doubt I'd buy into the game; there are just too many science
fiction RPGs already collecting dust on my shelf.

I don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers, but really ... the Weird West
interests me, and its offshoots interest me, but frankly if PEG
discontinued the entire rest of the catalog I doubt I'd even notice.  It
would be difficult to get me interested in Lost Colony even if it was
shoved down my throat like this, and HoE is a total lost cause.

If PEG goes to a purely combined format, where 2/3 of every book released
is useless to me, then they'll lose me as a customer as well.  I have a
limited budget for RPGs, and if I'm going to buy a 128-page book I want to
be able to use ... oh, at least 100 pages of it ... and be able to get some
ideas out of the rest.  I can't afford to buy what is essentially a
twenty-dollar magazine.

Knowing that there will still be dedicated releases is somewhat comforting
... but not very, because I'm left wondering how long we'll still have
them.  I'd rather just see no Epitaph, no combined books, and just
sourcebooks coming out slightly less often (maybe one a month, alternating
between the three games).

--
R. Serena Wakefield (raistw@gate.net)
Visit Serena's Roleplaying Dojo:  http://welcome.to/serenasdojo/