Re: [DL] Confederate Missouri

At 01:04 PM 9/24/2000 -0400, Mr. Daniel Gwyn wrote:
>Hi,

	Greetings!

>    In writing the background of a character from Missouri, I was doing a
>bit of research into the Civil War when I discovered that Missouri never
>secceded despite being a slave state (in our world).  However, in Deadlands,
>Missouri is a part of C.S.A. by 1876.  Is there an "official" Deadlands
>history of Missouri in
>existence which explains this event?  If so, where can I find it?

	Actually, whether or not Missouri seceded depends entirely on your point
of view. The state's duly elected Governor Claiborne Jackson and a rump
legislature voted to secede, while a state convention voted to remain in
the Union. So just as Missourians fought for both North and South, the
Union and the Confederacy both claimed the state.
	In Real Life, the brilliant Yankee General Nathaniel Lyon settled the
issue of who would actually control the state early in The War. However, in
*DL* history, events in 1864 irrevocably made the Show Me State part of
Dixie. The details are found in *River o' Blood* and *Tales o' Terror:
1877* (a special favorite of mine, BTW :) ).

Deo Vindice,
Christopher McGlothlin, M.Ed.

Additional Developer: Deadlands: The Weird West Revised Edition
Co-Author: Tales o' Terror: 1877, Back East: The South & the JLA Sourcebook
Reviewer: Games Unplugged Magazine
Southern by the Grace of God