Re: [DL] Canada prices (Shane or John)

on 9/27/00 1:57 PM, John Goff at JohnGoff@deadlands.com wrote:

> Although, if our book prices are higher elsewhere than our otherwise
> equally-priced competitor's products, that leads me to think one of three
> things. Our competitors somehow get a better rate (which I doubt since we
> pretty much use the same distributors), the distributor/retailer chain
> deliberately prices our stuff higher to move other products, or (and I
> prefer this one <g>) the demand for our product allows them to charge a
> higher price.

Wild-@ss guess on my part: Volume.  I'm willing to bet that White Wolf (as
far as I remember the #2 selling company in RPGs, and that by a long shot)
prolly sells 5-10 times as many copies of a sourcebook than a comparable
Deadlands (or other smaller company's) product, and so distributors can
likely offer better rates when you're ordering 50 of them or whatever.

(Heck, local game store has already gone through something like a couple
hundred CASES of the D&D3 PHB.  I guess the difference between relative
haves and have-nots in the hobby is fairly big...)

Also, speaking fo distributors, one phenomenon I can speak about is the fact
that it takes FOREVER for new PEG products to make their way into local
stores up here, going from the date (for example) that list members report
the book available in the US.

This doesn not apply to any other company whose product I buy, and my FLGS
does better business than many distributors, so I know they have stroke.
They also know that ordering at least a couple of copies of Deadlands
product is a good idea, since I (and my growing family of fellow purchasers,
at least) will buy it.

Heck, my local retailer bought a limited leatherbound specifically for me,
knowing I'd eventually cave and buy it, without bothernig to ask me
beforehand.

(He was right, too...)

Ross Coburn
coburn@sympatico.ca