Re: [DL] Law Dogs, Bullards etc. (Steve Long)

> I have, however, found a maker named Ballard, whose rifles come in every
> conceivable calibre (up to buffalo guns).  A typo, perhaps?  They are also
> specifically single-shot weapons, using a lever-action similar to a
> Winchester to load and eject said cartridge, and a double trigger set to
> cock and fire it.  Complicated, but neat.

Bullard, the manufacturer, originally produced first quality muskets and
continued into at least the late 1800s with precision firearms. Apparently,
not only is the company long out of business, but it's also been forgotten
by all but the most well-informed collectors.

I can't speak for the 11-shot capacity of the listed gun (between you, me,
and the rest of the list, I suspect it's incorrect...), but I know Teddy
Roosevelt favored a 6-shot lever-action Bullard Express in the 50-115
caliber. The manufacturer produced rifles in a variety of styles and
calibers, so I suspect what happened was stats for two guns got mixed.

Ballard is a different gunmaker, BTW.

Hope that helps,

John