Re: [DL] Law Dogs, Bullards etc. (Steve Long)

> Steve, could you cite me your sources for said Bullard please?  I'd like
> either find it, or toss it from my saga as not being historical (and
pretty
> unbalancing).

The book Firearms of the American West (1866-1894), by Louis Garavaglia and
Charles Worman, has a short section devoted to the Bullard company and its
rifles, and includes some pictures of the rifles (including, in an
advertisement, a .50-115 Express). It also mentions TR's .50-115, and agrees
with John Goff's source that it was a six-shot weapon.

They're massive-looking rifles. :-]

I can sympathize with your finding the weapon unbalancing, as I ran into a
tendency amongst my players to favor it over all others. I simply made the
weapon itself difficult to come by, and wasn't at all reluctant about
destroying them one way or another during play. Another balancing factor is
that, according to the abovementioned source, the .50-115 ammunition was
unique to this rifle and incompatible with all others, which would imply
that it was also hard to find.

- Sean Briggs