RE: [DL] Law Dogs, Bullards etc.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-deadlands@gamerz.net [mailto:owner-deadlands@gamerz.net]On
Behalf Of Jeff Yates
Sent: Monday, October 02, 2000 3:36 PM
To: deadlands@gamerz.net
Subject: RE: [DL] Law Dogs, Bullards etc.

>I've got my Peacemaker ;-)  I too find modern guns less appealing.  My Colt
>(OK, it's a replica from Italy, but it's a good replica) feels good, heavy
>and comfortable to grip.  The heavy gun also shoots dead on -- my brother
>has a semi-auto that is lighter, but it doesn't shoot as well.  'Course, he
>can empty his right quick and actually hit the target, whereas fannin'
ain't
>easy.  Neither is Speed Loadin', unless there's a PEG trick I don't know...

There is a trick to it, although I couldn't tell you what it is.  When I was
young, I was at the range with my brother-in-law, a collector of firearms.
(he's dead from a coronary for about fifteen years, to forstall questions)
Anyway, he had a colt peacemaker (sold at auction after his death, damnit!),
and could load it bare handed with some sort of rolling action.  Think when
someone in the movies rolls a pistol down there arm to check that all the
chambers are loaded.  He would do that, and fill chambers as it rolled.
Very fast.  Of course, he said the best speed load was another cylinder to
slap in, but I don't remember if the peacemaker could do that.

He's also the man that taught me how to properly hold and fire a pistol,
esp. a revolver.  I still have the little scar on my forehead from where I
did it wrong...:)  I never did it wrong again...

Bill