Re: [DL] Mad Scientists

I like a lot of the ideas I've read so far. I just thought I'd add my two
bits, since Mad Scientists are so close to my heart.

The Marshal should take the intent of the Device into account when the MS
fails a roll or might receive a Dementia. I don't think a Scientist should
be blown to Kingdom Come for trying to spiff up his steam-powered
backscratcher. However, if he fumbles while playing with his Megalo Death
Ray, take him to the cleaners. I think this particularly applies if the
Scientist makes an effort to limit the damage his Device can do. For
example, my MS, Professor Harvey Wangenstein, will only build a weapon if
its main function is non-lethal. (Of course, most of the time, they can be
used with deadly force in some way, but Prof. Wangenstein would never use
them that way.)

If the MS is trying to build something that will overbalance the game, whomp
'em. If they're trying to build a Device that adds a little personality to
the game, give 'em a break. Particularly if the Player invests a little
effort into the Theory behind the Device.

And, I say let MSs buy Dementias off with Bounty. It represents a mental
shock that gradually wears off. This way, if the Dementia works for both the
Player and the Character, he can choose to keep it. If not, he can buy it
off. No reason to ruin a good character for the sake of a poor die roll.

I think people who dislike MSs simply haven't seen one played correctly.

Derek D. Bass

Etheric Musings - The Science of the Sons of Ether
http://members.home.net/wangenstein/ether.htm

FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com