RE: [DL] Charting Survival vs. Fate Chips

I like to think that characters should have chips left over between gaming
sessions.  I believe that the main points of the game are:  Character
Development, Learning the 'Big Picture', and being able to do something
about it.  If the players are constantly making new characters due to AD&D
(Accidental Death and Dismemberment), then, though the players may learn the
'Score,' their characters may never, which is a big difference in terms of
roleplaying.   Our Marshal was somewhat conservative with the chips for a
while, until he noticed the rule change.  Until then, one of our players
spent over 6 months of regular weekly playing saving chips to up a die type
from D6 to D8.  My first three characters were all killed in their first 2-3
sessions due to 'rapid chip attrition'  And since character advancement to
Expert levels is so costly, the odds are not in a character's favor to ever
become Heroic.  Also, one gunshot wound can use up most of a characters
chips.  Most of out players lose all their chips within the 1st round, some
in the first action.

My point:  Players don't have as much fun if their characters are dying, or
aren't advancing.   Remember, you can always give bounty points instead of
chips.  Maybe work out a balance of both, so that characters have chips in
hand when the baddies approach, and have points for a new skill at the end
of the day.