[DL] Re: deadlands-digest.20010202

At 15:48 3/02/01, you wrote:
>As such, the chance of a Mad Scientist developing a reliable scope are
>pretty good once she gets some experience under her belt -- especially once
>she gets her hands on a portable lab.  (+3 to the roll).  Just keep drawing
>until you get what you need and stop.

this sounds a bit funny, but it still doesn't address the issue of
complicated gizmos (eg a submersible) having high reliability most/all of
the time, due to the high roll required in order to get the cards. I know
that  labs and books etc etc help, but I consider them separate from the
main 'system'.

>Now if you want to play the part of the Manitou, tell your player that you
>will have the gizmo be improved if he gets higher hands.
>
>Jacks: Normal scope (x2 sights)
>2 Pair: Better magnification (x4 Sights)
>3 of a Kind: (x8 Sights)
>Straight: Low-Light (Owl Eye Sights x3) Scope
>Flush: Low Light Scope (x6 magnification)
>Full House IR/Heat Imaging Scope
>Four of a Kind: X-Ray scope (see through walls and, if the gun is powerful
>enough, shoot through them to hit the target).
>Straight Flush: "Laser Designator" Scope (Invisible, of course...unless
>there is a malfunction)
>Royal Flush: "Laser Targeting" scope (Smart-Bullet)
>
>Once the player has the jacks, point out that he *could* get a more powerful
>scope with a second pair.  Three of a kind, of course, would be even better.
>Once they look like they are going to go for it, tell them that there are a
>lot of cards in the deck and just the two jokers....

I find this a bit funny as well - I consider this to be part of the mad
scientists design. It's like wanting to make a gatling pistol and designing
a laser guided mortar instead just becuase I get a really high roll.

thoughts?
neko