Re: [DL] The old Powergamer question

At 01:36 AM 5/20/2001 -0400, you wrote:
 >>I have caught him red-handed cheating before,
 >
 >Everybody has had a lot of touchy feely "keep the game going" stuff that
 >should work pretty well, but for me, the above quote from your post is the
 >only thing that really matters.
 >
 >Kick this jerk out of your game.
 >
 >He displays no respect for you or the other players.

Urp.  I missed this line.  I've got a method to deal with cheaters, and a
method to deal with evil characters, but you might want to think about
letting this guy go.

If you want to go through the major trouble of retaining and salvaging this
player, you can deal with the cheater using the Goff method.  Of all the
advice and suggestions I've heard on the subject, it's the one I like the most.

Make the player's character a non-entity.  He is cheating and hence his
results don't count.  When says he hits something for a certain amount of
damage, nod and pretend to write something down.  If it becomes patently
obvious that he should have had an effect - like 10 wounds to the head of a
mook - nod and remove the figure from the board and then have another mook
just like it come out of nearby saloon/door/over the hill/whatnot.

Just remember, a happy gamer is a book buying gamer. :)

Allan Seyberth
darious@darious.com
Deadlands fan site - http://www.darious.com/

Keeping house is as unpleasant and filthy as coal mining, and the pay's a
lot worse.
                 -P.J. O'Rourke