Re: [DL] A few simple question

Hello,

I haven't read all the replies to this so if I repeat
something someone said already I appologize.

> 1. A player drew two jokers during character
> creation. Do I draw twice on the mysterious
> background table.

As far as I know, YES.

> 2. I am sure I read it somewhere, but it's a while
> since I went through the rules and I can't remember,
> how do you raise aptitudes above the normal limit of
> 5, and I assume you can do this to hexes to.

You can raise an aptitude above 5 by spending double
the bounty points on it.  You can not do this at
creation.  I.E. To raise an aptitude from 5 to 6 it
costs you 12.

> POSSIBLY SLIGHTLY SMALL SPOILER UP AHEAD:
>
> 3. In the Marshal's Handbook page 22. Under that's a
> lot of grit it says: "A hero can never have more
> than 5 points of grit"  While in the Huckster and
> Hexes book. Page 108.Under the second headline.
> Second paragraph below that. Line 7 in that
> paragraph. Xxx don't usually bother with heroes with
> less than 10 grit. What have I missed.

Nothing.  The new Marshall's handbook is a REVISED
edition of the game.  Hucksters and Hexes came out
BEFORE the revised edition.  In the first edition grit
was unlimited.  In the new edition grit is capped at
5.  I simply take grit values above 5 to simply mean
-- After great experience with the weird west.

> BTW! How often should I give the players grit and
> legend chips?

I give the players a point of grit for dealing with
significatly strange and supernatural events.  I run a
mix of straight horror and mad man scientists trying
to rule the world with doomsday devices type
adventures.  I usually don't give the players a point
of grit for the primarily ordinary western and
technology based adventures.  After all, technology
can't seem out of place if you have no frame of
reference for it.  I mean how do we know we're not
living in an alternate universe where we have space
travel 100 years earlier?  We don't and yet space
travel doesn't blow our minds away and 'harden' us to
the shocking reality of things.  Of course Deadlands
Technology is supernaturally inspired but if the
players technically don't know that it just looks like
ordinary technology.

As for legend chips.  I give the players a legend chip
for doing anything that is publically stupendous.  I
won't give them a legend chip for defeating a nest of
prarie ticks if no one was there to see it and even if
one or two people see it.  However, if the players
defend a town from an encroching undead army and the
whole town bares witness to the unholly legions defeat
then the players earn a legend chip.

Just my suggestions.

Jesse