Re: [DL] the problems Manitou face (slight spoiler) - MAD SCIENCE

--- John Goodrich <Qusoor@monkeybrains.net> wrote:
> Patrick Downs wrote:
>     As for manitou making ultra-reliable mad
> science, I look at it this
> way.  What a Manitou is doing when it makes "mad
> science" is injecting
> its own magic so that the device can defy the laws
> of physics.  I see it
> as juggling physics.  Now the manitou aren't
> all-powerful, so they've
> got to keep one law of physics in the air while the
> machine is
> operating.  And Manitou, as we all know, very in
> power.  So some are
> good at juggling physics, but nobody can keep all
> those balls in the air
> all the time--especially on short notice.  Try as
> they might, sometimes
> they just can't do it, even if it's making all the
> fear in the world.

Sorry, I don't believe that reliability is a failing
on the maintous part, otherwise they wouldn't have
invented Gremlins.  New technology is something LOTS
of people fear.  Watch anyone on their first attempt
to use a computer and you will see this.  Why do
people fear new technology?  Because when it breaks,
it breaks big time, and if they've never used it
before, it will probably break.  Good source of fear.

Another reason technology breaks is people are trying
to make modern devices with hand made parts, not parts
made with exact machine percision.  Some of those
parts don't fit exactly together (they could be off by
a few millimeters), but just enough for the machine to
work most of the time.  So the failings fall on the
mad scientist.

Now I'm not saying the manitous are perfect.  Just
saying they aren't incompetent when MS items break
down ... there's a method to their madness.

-Munch Wolf