Re: [DL] A real verdict imposed in a real weird west!

In a message dated 6/16/2001 7:40:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
zom-b@chipsnet.com writes:

<< I stumbled across this verdict and I just had to share it with the
 listserve. The judge must have been feeling a little poetic...or something.

    On the subject of court cases, here are a couple of unusual ones I ran
across during my time as a practicing attorney that Marshals could perhaps
work into DEADLANDS games. Both of these cases are real; you can look up
actual reports of them at law libraries.

U.S. ex rel MAYO vs. SATAN AND HIS STAFF:  A man sues Satan in federal court,
claiming Satan tempted him and brought about his downfall, thus violating his
civil rights. The court throws out the case on three grounds:  first, it's
not sure it has jurisdiction over the Prince of Darkness; second, if this
case were viable, it should probably be a class action suit, and plaintiff
provided no proof that he met the numerosity and typicality requirements of
Rule 23; and third and most importantly, plaintiff has provided the U.S.
Marshals no instructions as to how to serve process on Lucifer.

SYUFY vs. CONSOLIDATED THEATERS:  An antitrust case concerning the movie
theater business in Las Vegas, NV. The judge, apparently a big movie buff,
salted the opinion with about 150 movie titles, worked into sentences and
phrases -- it's fun trying to find them all. Now, just imagine in DEADLANDS
if he salted an opinion with the words of a black magic spell, such that any
attorney or politico who read it activated the spell....

Steve Long