RE: [DL] Allan's ability to have 2 emails [OT]

>>Actually - I am only going to respond to this to prevent the continued
twisting of facts.<<

   Which facts would those be?

>>Normally a thread like this would be long past being shut down, but since
it centers around my role as moderator I think everyone should have a
chance to say their mind.<<

   Exactly what I am talking about. This thread has been running for less
than twenty-four hours and the majority of the messages in have been "Me,
too. I think you're doing a great job." It's decidedly on topic and its
been free of flames and personal attacks. This thread is being shut down.
Threads about how silly D&D is, about blue dice, and about me too messages
are allowed to run for days.

>>But unless you have something new to offer on the subject, just let it
go.<<

   I got lotsa stuff.

>>I doubt anyone is going to be changing their minds at this point.<<

   Maybe when they get a glimpse of how you really run the list, they will.

>>And as always, if you have an unresolved complaint about my behavior,
please feel free to contact Afterburner@erols.com<<

   To what end?

   Someone posted that your reputation should not be marred by speculation.
That's fine. Allow me to mar it with public record.
   Yesterday you said: "Not long after this guy got on the list, he started
an argument that rapidly escalated." Here's the threads in which I
participated in the month that I arrived on the list:

http://deadlands.melnibone.org/deadlist/Aug-2000/0431.html
http://deadlands.melnibone.org/deadlist/Aug-2000/0697.html
http://deadlands.melnibone.org/deadlist/Aug-2000/0698.html

   Which one is the argument I started? I've been through all the messages
I've ever sent to the list. The only one which *REMOTELY* could be
considered anything less than calm and polite is A Splash of Cold Water,
which I posted in November. I joined the list August.
   From your message yesterday: "And since in my opinion, given his
on other public forums, he was more interested in being in an argument then
in the actual argument itself I closed the email by telling him off in no
uncertain terms.  Vulgarity was used."
   My previous posts on the list? I had just joined the list.
   Let's take a look at part of your reply to A Splash of Cold Water, which
can be found at http://deadlands.melnibone.org/deadlist/Nov-2000/1190.html:
"Oh. You. If you must know, your reputation as a flame instigator had
preceded you - that one comment - off list - quickly ended what you were
gearing yourself up to."
   Where am I going with all of this? Let's rebuild things only using
public record - I can't twist that. I join the list. I post a couple of
rules questions. I get into a length, but decidedly calm, discussion about
what had happened to one of my NPCs. You've heard that I am a "flame
instigator." You believe I am "gearing up" to do something, so you send me
a nasty private note which included vulgarities, a kind of warning about
what I could expect from the list. You send it from your private account
(presumably).
   Perhaps its just me, but this doesn't strike me as fair or unbiased. I
had done *NOTHING*. Your presumption that I was about to do something was
based entirely upon second hand knowledge. Someone told you I might start a
fight and so, even though I had been a perfect gentlemen, you decide the
best thing to do is send me a nasty warning. The whole presumption of guilt
thing aside, the moderator sending a strongly worded private note that
includes "vulgarities" to folks who have broken the rules doesn't strike me
as a terribly professional and wise thing to do.
   But it gets better. After this happens, I notice at least one other
person posts to the list, saying you sent them a nasty note in private. If
I recall correctly, your defense then was that you were using your private
account. I'll look this stuff up in the archive if you like.
   Then I start to notice that certain threads are shut down - threads you
don't like - while others remain open - ones you're participating in.
Certain opinions get nasty responses from your private e-mail personality
while others are egged on.
   So I think you're doing a bad job as moderator. Don't think it's
terribly difficult to see why.

            Seanchai

"Nature composes some of her loveliest poems for the microscope and
telescope." - Theodore Roszak