RE: [DL] Dead Presidents -- The Writer's Cut (SPOILERS)

Title: RE: [DL] Dead Presidents -- The Writer's Cut (SPOILERS)

> Howdy all,
>
> Player types: avoid the following information.  It is laden with
> self-destructive subliminal messages designed to urge you to
> attack the PC
> Train of Death armed only with a herring.  You have been warned...
>

> So, how about some spoiler space...
>

> ...gee, how 'bout that spoiler space?
>

> Wow, what a difference a few paragraphs makes! Generally, there is
> certainly a substantial amount more of wiggle room to work
> with. This is
> especially so in Gamorra, and a better investigation with a
> little more
> meat certainly doesn't hurt. I have to admit, my name
> certainly doesn't
> sound terribly cool in print, does it? It's very out of
> place, but I'm
> proud of it!

I think it peoples reaction to DP or DP:Authors Cut depends on how they run their Deadlands game.  For myself, I personally like the idea of the posse being free to investigate around Gomorra - so this version fits with my style of Marshaling, however I can fully understand how people who wish to have an adventure that they can pick up and run would be better off with the published version.  In general, the "wiggle room" in DP:TAC will require more preparation (or at least an ability to wing it) and the Marshal has to be ready for the posse to dig dirt in and around Gommora.  To be honest I felt that the leads in Gomorra could have been brought to more of a conclusion (but with an ominous tone) so that the PC's don't get too sidetracked - but that's easy enough to solve.

> The traveling highlights from the Castle (rather than having
> the Lee pickup
> the posse) seems much more "realistic" and certainly much
> more interesting.
> I mean, really -- there's nothing more exciting than a posse
> trying to find
> their way through a strange city while being chased by the police and
> Harrowed gun-bunnies! Whoo-ee!

Yeah, I like the Richmond bit as well - however I think it would run far better if the posse were familiar with the city... but I think I'm repeating myself.  It's a good opportunity to make them realise the enormity of what they have stumbled on to, when the previously friendly police are trying to take them down.  Anyway this scene lets the posse stand on their own feet again - not reliant on captors or rescuers (yes they are helped, but ultimately this way, their fate and hopefully escape is fully in their own hands).  However again this will takes planning (or the ability to wing it) by the Marshal to ensure the excitment of the chase works properly.

> I am especially happy with the potential for stopping the
> explosion at the
> end -- though my understanding is that HOE's future requires this to
> happen. However, since HOE is not in my posse's immediate
> future, I'll take
> any chance I can to allow the posse to take the fight to the
> Reckoners.

I'm pretty much the same - I like HOE however to run it would spoil a lot of the surprises for my players in the WW, so the fate of Richmond isn't quite as set.

> Overall, I found the reinserted cuts gave the whole adventure more
> potential playability and depth. It gives me, as a GM, more
> room to work,
> and is not quite so linear.  If the posse goes astray, then
> there's ways to
> work that in, too.  It is just nice to have the options open.

I fully agree with the above - DP:TAC provides far more room for a GM to work - and this leads to the greater depth of playability, however the GM must be ready to do the work that this requires.  I would also say that DP:TAC will play slower, and therefore less deadly than the published adventure (it allows the posse to accumulate more chips between fights).

Cheers

Roy

All internet traffic to this site is
automatically scanned for viruses