Re: [DL] The Wind Cannon

> --- Casey McGirt <cmcgirt@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > First, is it balanced for play?
>
> certainly, in my opinion I would change two things,
> see below...
>
> > Second, what hand do you think is required to
> > make the device?
>
> probably 4 of a kind, since you're not actually
> rewriting the laws of science, just creating something
> highly implausible, thus "flaunting" laws of science
>
> > Minor Malfunction:  Partial loss of air pressure
> > reduces the damage to 4d4
>
> I would change this to 3d4
>
> > Catastrophic Malfunction:  Turbine ruptures.  The
> > user takes damage as if hit by the cannon, and is
> > thrown forward by the blast (compare damage vs
> > Size for distance).  The wind cannon is useless
> > until repaired.
>
> I would make the turbine rupturing do actual damage on
> a 6d4 to the user (it's supposed to be catastrophic)
> and still push the user forward (comparing damge vs
> Size)
> also, I would set a Tinkerin' roll for the device's
> repair, probably 9 or 11
>
> just my opinion
> great device, btw
> -doc

I disagree with the assertion that a Catastrophic failure has to cause a lot of damage to the user. I'm a big believer in giving a Catastrophic failure a narrative effect, rather than just a damage amount. The narrative effect can be worse for the Scientist in the long run. Let me give an example:

In Smith & Robards (IIRC), there is a "climbing spider" backpack for climbing walls, cliffs, etc. On a Catastrophic failure, the legs of the spider turn inwards, doing 8d8 damage to the user automatically. That seems extremely harsh to me. A simpler Catastrophe would be to have all six legs release their grip on the wall at once (and require a Tinkerin' roll to repair). That way, the user just takes falling damage. If they're 200-feet up, they're in a lot of trouble, but if they're 10-feet off the ground, it isn't likely to be automatically fatal.

Catastrophes can be plenty catastrophic without being instantly deadly.

It's a great idea for a device. I have a similar one, called the Thermopneumatic Cannon. It uses a compressed air tank to run a small turbine. The turbine powers an electric arc furnace which superheats the air, causing it to expand and rush out the barrel of the Cannon. It hits the target with a blast of hot (though non-lethal) air that knocks them over. It doesn't even require ghost rock to function (though you do have to recharge the air tank periodically).

Again, nice job.

Derek D. Bass
Steam Engine Chaos!
http://www.steamenginechaos.com