Re: [DL] Just some screwball questions

>>>Sounds like a lot to me, both as a player and as a Marshal.<<
>
>    What I did was take the 2 to 4 Bounty Points suggested at the bottom of
> page 24 in the Marshal's Handbook and chose to award 4 Bounty Points worth
> of chips. I then looked up how much chips were worth on page 145 of the
> Player's Guide and gave out two whites, worth 1 point a piece, and one red,
> worth 2 points.
>    Is that really too many?
>    At this point I am actually favoring the PCs' rapid advancement 'cause
> they're going to meet some tough NPCs ahead (Hellstromme and Grimme, maybe)
> and I don't want them to die before they have a chance to run, run away. On
> the other hand, I don't want things too far outside the norm 'cause I may
> not want them advancing as quickly next time we play.

I guess it depends on how quickly you want them to be able to face Hellstromme
and Grimme.

After two years of play, our Marshal essentially ruled that our characters were
no match for the direct servitors of the Reckoners. We defeated Stone (or our
campaign's equivalent of Stone, Heywood Landry) toward the end, but it took
everything we had and a *lot* of outside help, and we bloody well nearly got
killed doing it.

It's a question of game style, I suppose. We tended to get slapped around by
mostly medium-sized opponents (and royally messed up by what were apparently
supposed to be minor encounters), and didn't do much rolling outside of combat.
Everything was roleplayed, so when we *were* told to roll for something
(persuasion, scrutinise, whatever), we figured it had to be important enough to
chip. Of course, that mentality came back to bite us every now and then, but on
the whole it seemed to work.

If you plan to have very strong abominations stare down your heroes, then I
don't see why they shouldn't have higher aptitude levels. But lacking other
skills should end up being a problem for them. For instance, if they put all
their points in shootin' or fightin', have them fight over a river and fall in.
See how well your gunslinger does the, weighted down by all his weapons and with
no swimmin' aptitude.

Daphné