Re: [DL] Mysterious pasts

 >How exactly do you use tarot cards?  Is it a 'best
 >fit' thing?

Yup.

Good mysterious past - right side up interpretation, bad MP - inverted card.

And then I fit the character, the /player/, the campaign, what movie I
watched recently, etc. etc. into something.

The one the player enjoyed the Mexican gunfighter who drew the Knight of
Swords or something like that and I gave him "Peasant Hero" status.

My most shining moment though was the gambler/huckster who drew the 3 of
coins inverted - which meant poor fortune or close to it.  Instead of
making him unlucky (which would have hosed his concept) I gave him the
inability to hold on to money.  He was a great gambler, but he would never
get rich and would probably die alone in a flophouse somewhere.  Unless I
got him first.  :)
But I hand out "money" during the game and I'd dip into his stash between
sessions and lighten his cash a little bit.

-------------------
Allan Seyberth
darious@darious.com
Deadlands fan site - http://www.darious.com/

Ecology is the science of everything. Nobody knows everything. Nobody even
knows everything about any one thing. And most of us don't know much. Say
it's ten-thirty on a Saturday night. Where are your teenage children? I
didn't ask where they said they were going. Where are they really? What are
they doing? Who are they with? Have you met the other kids' families? And
what is tonight's pot smoking, wine-cooler drinking, and sex in the
backseats of cars going to mean in a hundred years? Now extend these
questions to the entire solar system.
                 -P.J. O'Rourke