Re: [DL] More Newbie Questions

>From: "Stephen Esdale" <sesdale@cable.redden.on.ca>
>Thanks everyone who responded to my previous post - the more I think about
>it, the more I will insist on the cards and the chips.  From what I read,
>they seem to work very well in the game.
>
>Here are some more questions.
>
>1. The Quick and the Dead - I have a copy of the Marshals Handbook (bought
>with my 1st edition rulebook which adds to my frustration).  Is the Q&D the
>first edition of the Marshals Handbook or was it something else.  If it had
>additional info in it, has any other sourcebook reprinted this info since
>Q&D seems to be out of print.

The Q&D is mostly setting setting information.  I have 1st ed rules and Q&D,
intheory they were replaced by the Players book and the Marshalls book.  I
flipped through the marshals book, it seemed to me that Q&D had more setting
info than the marshal's book.  If you have 1st ed rules and 2nd ed Marshalls
book, you might be shy a couple of rules, like the showdown rules for
gunfights, you'll probably need the 2nd ed players book eventually, but you
can probably live w/out the Q&D

>2. On Pinnacle's On-Line Store, the listing for Texarcana says it "presents
>and expands up the rules for martial arts... found in our popular boxed
>sets".  Are the rules reprinted there or do I need the boxed sets. - I want
>the rules but have chosen to buy the boxed sets and regional sourcebooks
>last (focusing on more rules oriented books first).

The Great Maze has Martial Arts rules, the City o' Gloom had Metal mage and
Augmentation (think steam punk 6million dollar man) rules, and I think river
o' blood has Voodoo (I don't have that last one).  The rules in Hexarcane
are more up to date and a bit better balanced; the martial arts rules
changed quite a bit, the metal mage rules in Hexarcana I think are mostly
the same, there are I think a couple more hexes in hexarcana.  I don't know
the voodoo differences since I don't have the original set of rules.
I would say that you don't need the boxed sets unless you want the setting
info.