RE: [DL] Mundane vs. arcane

>But doesn't it stand to reason that any given combatant A with a distinct
>advantage X over combatant B will kill/mash/perforate combatant B if
>allowed
>to use X?  Why do you feel that a guy with a gun receiving the benefits of
>Bodyguard, Kentucky Windage, Loaded for Bear is so unbalancing compared to
>guy with a sword receiving the benefits of Stone Skin, Magic Weapon, Bull
>Strength?  Other than the fact that Deadlands is on the whole deadlier than
>DnD3rd/D20.  It's a matter of strategy, or rather the good use of strategy.
>While your hero is setting up his (or her) three favorite Hexes, the
>villain
>could just as easily be setting up Missed Me! and Cloak o' (something my
>old
>brain can't remember now), and while hero casts Loaded for Bear he gets a
>big fat Bolt O' Doom for 4d20.  Or just walks into the room in time for the
>villain to do nothing more than pull a lever, dropping the ceiling onto the
>hero or dropping the floor out from under the hero, both effectively
>eliminating the hero's guns from the mix.
>
>Sorry, you probably weren't lookin' for ways to kibosh all your players'
>plans, but I'm sittin' at work thinkin' Deadlands!
>
>Jeff Y.

i think you just proved my point.  The counter for a hexslinger is a badguy
hexslinger, according to your post.  So what happens when the normal
gunfighter runs into a badbuy hexslinger or Black Magic user?  He's kind of
screwed.

Trust me, there were times where the posse was ambushed and/or smacked by
backlash.  But like I said, you can only ambush them so many times.  And if
you only cast 2-3 personal enhancement hexes, then start blazing away, you
run into a lot less backlash than a normal huckster tossing soulblast with
every action.

Consider that Bodyguard saves chips which means you end up with more bounty
to spend and get more powerful faster than the rest of the party.  Consider
a hexslinger with Silver Tounged Deveil and d4s in Mein will utterly
outshine a mundane with d12s in mein at social skills.