Re: [DL] Rules: Vamoosin'

Problem is bullets travel really really fast. Jumping out of thier way IS
very difficult. But my posse moaned at me about it enough that we came up
with this compromise:

1. I make my players declare a Vamoose BEFORE the attack roll. It just seems
a little too easy to let them wait until they know it hit to get out of the
way. Also since bullets travel really fast it makes sense for the Dodging to
happen before the bullet starts flyin. Its the art of letting the attacker
commit to firing on one place then getting out of that place before the
hammer strikes.

2. When Vamoosin' the rules say you have to move at least 1 yard in a
direction away from the attack. There's no reason why you can't move more. I
let my posse move as far as thier regular movement will allow when Vamoosin'
this can do great things like put them a range increment or two away from
the attack, making them harder to hit. Now if they are out of movement they
are out of luck, or they can Pick Up The Pace per the old rules and spend
wind for a few extra yards.

3. What Dodge does for me is replace the base TN for the attack (5) with
your Dodge roll. Then add on all modifiers for light, movement, distance,
wind velocity, humidity etc. So the attackers TN becomes the Dodge roll +
Modifiers. Yes, this does mean if you roll poorly you can make yourself
easier to hit, but that doesn't happen too often. Most of the time if you
can just clear a 5 you get _some_benefit from Dodging. It also solves the
automatics problem as a good dodge can muck up his raises enough to make 3
bullets hitting into 2 or 1 bullet hitting.

I dunno. This worked for me. Here's hoping it helps you out. =]

Matt the Drifter