[DL] Rules: Vamoosin'

As I understand Vamoosin' (specifically the case when you're
getting shot at), after the player knows there is a bullet with
his character's name on it, he can declare that he's Vamoosin'
and burn his high card.  The player finds something to hide
behind and makes a Dodge check.  If his Dodge check equals or
beats the shooter's Shootin' check, the shot misses.  Otherwise
he takes the injury.

I have two concerns about this.  First, if interpreted as above,
it's not possible to dodge only some of a burst.  It's all or
nothing.  For example, a bad guy opens fire on our hero with a
gatling pistol.  For various reasons, he only needs a 5 to hit.
Unfortunately for our hero, the bad guy rolls a 15, 3 bullets
hit.  Our hero, realizing that this is bad decides to dodge
behind a convient barrel.  An unfortunate roll and a few chips
later and our unlucky hero only rolls a 13.  Not enough to dodge
entirely, so he suffers all 3 bullets.

Perhaps it would make more sense for the Vamoosin' character's
roll to become the new target number for the shooter.  Our hero
up above would only take one bullet, not perfect but he's still
happy he dodged.  It also means that a nasty shot with several
raises will lose the raises.  Perhaps this is the intended way to
handle it, but I'm not seeing it in the rules.  Any thoughts on
this?

Second, Vamoosin' seems unreasonably hard.  Dodging a
barely-made-it hit (needed a 20 and rolled a 20) is just as hard
as dodging a solid hit (needed a 5 and rolled a 20).  That
doesn't seem quite right.  I've been thinking of tinkerin' with
this rule.  One possibility is as suggested above dodge checks
replace the shooter's target number.  In addition, apply all
modifiers that that shooter suffered (range, movement,
visibility, size, etcetera) to the roll.  Effectively, take the
shooter's target number, subtract five and add the target's dodge
roll.  My biggest concern is that it might make dodging _too_
effective.  Anyone else tried anything similar?

--
Alan De Smet chaos@highprogrammer.com http://highprogrammer.com/alan