From: owner-deadlands@gamerz.net [mailto:owner-deadlands@gamerz.net] On
Behalf Of Alan De Smet
Sent: Friday, November 02, 2001 3:56 PM
To: deadlands@gamerz.net
Subject: [DL] Rules: Vamoosin'

As I understand Vamoosin' (specifically the case when you're getting
shot at), after the player knows there is a bullet with his character's
name on it, he can declare that he's Vamoosin' and burn his high card.
The player finds something to hide behind and makes a Dodge check.  If
his Dodge check equals or beats the shooter's Shootin' check, the shot
misses.  Otherwise he takes the injury.

I have two concerns about this.  First, if interpreted as above, it's
not possible to dodge only some of a burst.  It's all or nothing.  For
example, a bad guy opens fire on our hero with a gatling pistol.  For
various reasons, he only needs a 5 to hit. Unfortunately for our hero,
the bad guy rolls a 15, 3 bullets hit.  Our hero, realizing that this is
bad decides to dodge behind a convient barrel.  An unfortunate roll and
a few chips later and our unlucky hero only rolls a 13.  Not enough to
dodge entirely, so he suffers all 3 bullets.

Perhaps it would make more sense for the Vamoosin' character's roll to
become the new target number for the shooter.  Our hero up above would
only take one bullet, not perfect but he's still happy he dodged.  It
also means that a nasty shot with several raises will lose the raises.
Perhaps this is the intended way to handle it, but I'm not seeing it in
the rules.  Any thoughts on this?

Second, Vamoosin' seems unreasonably hard.  Dodging a barely-made-it hit
(needed a 20 and rolled a 20) is just as hard as dodging a solid hit
(needed a 5 and rolled a 20).  That doesn't seem quite right.  I've been
thinking of tinkerin' with this rule.  One possibility is as suggested
above dodge checks replace the shooter's target number.  In addition,
apply all modifiers that that shooter suffered (range, movement,
visibility, size, etcetera) to the roll.  Effectively, take the
shooter's target number, subtract five and add the target's dodge roll.
My biggest concern is that it might make dodging _too_ effective.
Anyone else tried anything similar?

--
Alan De Smet chaos@highprogrammer.com http://highprogrammer.com/alan