Re: [DL] Intro Adventure

Doug Dawson wrote:
Hello, all.  I'm hoping y'all will be able to give me some help.
I'm an experienced GM, but I've never run or played Deadlands.  Neither
has anyone in my group.  We've agreed to run a one-shot; if the group
likes it enough, it could turn into a campaign.

So, my question: are there any adventures (published or web-available)
which are particularly good for introducing a group to the game?

Perdition's Daughter, definitely. It runs pretty cleanly and contains a nice mix of legwork and conflict to keep your posse on their collective toes.
Second: I have the main rules.  I can get maybe one other sourcebook
before we play.  Are there any that are must-haves?
Fire & Brimstone, best book PEG has produced to date. Hexarcana's a close second. Then there's the Collegium, and... and... aw Heck with it! Buy 'em all!
Third: Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of?  Rules that are
tricky or that newbies tend to miss?
Learn as you go, don't fixate on getting each and every rule right the first session. Also, start off slow. Don't go hogwild on all the supernatural stuff, build slowly from a single spooky event and build up the tension with each and every encounter adding another piece of the puzzle. Most first time Marshals go overboard with the influences of the supernatural and by the time the posse slaps leather with a Fearmonger they're pretty much desensitized to it. Horror is all about the unknown and unexpected. Make 'em expect one thing and deliver another when they least expect it. Keep the gore down to a minimum at first, build slowly, then when the blood starts to flow have your descriptions appeal to all five senses: metallic, sticky, gushing, and arterial red.

My suggestion is for you to invest in a book called Nightmares of Mine by ICE. It's a trade paperback sized non-rules specific supplement for all horror themed games. For anybody with an interest in this genre it's a must-read.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

--
Joseph "the Ogre" Wolf