[DL] Re: [DLd20] Mad Science Skill

After a long period of lurking, I'd like to post my first question (it's actually a Deadlands d20 question, but since that mailing list is more or less dead, I'd like to post it here).

In Deadlands d20, there's a skill called "Mad Science". Reasonably enough, it's an exclusive skill for mad scientists (p. 48). My question is: What does it do? According to the rulebook, a mad scientists doesn't need that skill at all. On p. 114 it says that, to devise the blueprint for a new device, you need the appropriate Knowledge skill (engineering, biology or whatever). Then, to build it, you need Tinkerin'. So, what exactly (if anything), do you need Mad Science for?

Jack