Re: [DL] Greenhorn in the Weird West

> First of all, similar to the question posed on "More Hell On Earth," what

> books are IMPERATIVE for any Marshal worth his pesos? I'm on a really
tight
> budget, and will also be the only member of my gaming group to own a copy
of
> DL:WW.

It really depends on what you're looking for. For generally useful
information, I'd recommend Law Dogs (for an extensive list of guns and info
on crime & punishment in the Weird West, as well as excellent resources on
famous outlaws and lawmen) and Ghost Dancers (if you plan to include
Indians in your game). The various splat books are all handy, providing
expanded lists of powers and other information relevant to the various
arcane backgrounds, as well as Harrowed folks. If you're looking for
setting info, the Great Maze is good, as is City o' Gloom and River o'
Blood, though all of these stray somewhat from pure western/horror - the
Back East books even more so.

> How do opposed rolls work? I read the paragraph on it over and over, but
it
> doesn't seem to make sense...something about succeeding both a fair
> difficulty as well as your opponent's roll. Well, what if both parties
fail?
> If one dude's sneakin' round, and some two bit rustler's listening for
> intruders, and both fail their rolls (the dude for his sneak and the
rustler
> for his cognition) then what happens?

While it isn't specifically spelled out, I've always applied the "No
Raises" result from the table below.

> Is there anything out there about how to do other "mental games"
hucksters
> can play with the manitous for their hexes besides poker? I know the good

> people down at pinnacle picked poker cuz *duh* this is setting in the
> American Frontier...but still, what if I'm an old, wizened Japanese
huckster
> that instead of playing poker, plays a game of Go or Mah-jong?

Hucksters & Hexes addresses this possibility; while the huckster can
envision his game with the Manitou in any manner he chooses, you should
still use the poker hand mechanic to determine success and failure.

> Thanx ahead of time for the imput!

Sure thing. Welcome to the Weird West, pardner. :)

B. D. Flory

"Man is not made for defeat. A man can be destroyed but not defeated."
                                             -Ernest Hemingway