Re: [DL] Stigma (was announcement).

At 11:35 PM 1/10/2002 -0600, you wrote:
 >> You can could call a new disadvantage Stigma and it
 >> can cover things like being jewish, black, chinese,
 >> indian, or a half breed who might have to put up with
 >> racists, with the value of the hinderance varying
 >> based on the location of the game. Things like
 >
 >If you go
 >somewhere friendly to it (like modern gays to Sanf Francisco, for instance),
 >I'd make it matter less while you're there.  After all, if it wasn't
 >something society as a whole (or at least a siginficant portion of the
 >general populace) thought ill of, it wouldn't be much of a Hindrance.

Sounds a lot like Ferner to me.  :)

"'Ferners' are outsiders in the culture central to your adventure or
campaign.  USUALLY (emphasis mine), the outsiders are Mexicans, Indians, or
Chinese folks who have a difficult time adapting to the white man's
language AND WAY OF LIFE.  (emphasis mine).  An Englishman who insists on
bad mouthing the 'democracy' or a Chinese railroad worker who speaks little
English are likely to be shunned by most folks on the frontier."

Hmm... an Englishman who just happens to hold with different ideas than the
norm of the folks he's hanging around with. . .

"Sometime whites are the ferners.  If your Marshal is running a campaign
centered in the Sioux Nations, those who don't know the Sioux's practices
and traditions will find themselves the subject of prejudice."

Well - it's not a WASP centric based hindrance, but one based on
circumstance and "differentness" from the base society.

"As long as your character can communicate well in the culture he's in and
doesn't go out of his way to prove himself and outsider, he will likely
suffer little prejudice and you need not take this hindrance.  Foreign
characters may sometimes suffer from individual intolerance, or course."

Your point exactly, Nick.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm convinced to use this hindrance for
homosexuality, or any other set of circumstances that would give someone
difficulty working within the core game's societal bounds - raised by feral
wolves, a devout Mormon or Jew in the Bible Belt, a staunch and irresolute
Confederate with a deep accent up in New York State, etc.

Allan Seyberth
darious@darious.com
Deadlands fan site - http://www.darious.com/

A wicked Hero will turn his back to an innocent coward.
                 -Poor Richard's Almanac 1734