Re: [DL] Scientist in the Lone Stars

At 11:07 PM 2/27/2002, Brumy8@aol.com wrote:
>           I firmly believe in both forms of fighting the Abominations,
> but too much of one and less of another could be a weakness to the
> Ranger/Operative (you have to admit the Agency was a bit lacking on weaponry).

         You're absolutely right, of course. Myself, I always looked at it
as both sides playing to their respective strengths and temperments, as
well as providing a colorful contrast in styles for players, but that makes
you none the less correct, good sir.

>   Sure the Rangers have the nifty Ranger Bible, but eventually there is
> going to be something that is not covered in the Ranger Bible and that no
> Veteran Ranger has seen before, so I think a Ranger that is good with his
> brain as well as brawn will be needed eventually (I know all of you
> Marshals out there come up with seriously dangerous Abominations). I am
> open to ideas on combining the two investigation techniques.

         I wouldn't say that Rangers don't rely on their brains *at all*,
but they tend to be a lot less finessed about it. Their approach is: throw
everything in the book at the Abomination, and if none of it works,
obliterate the area with Congreves. It's not pretty, but it works for them.

>      I know, from looking through Hucksters and Hexes, that the Rangers
> have Hucksters (the archetype title "Texas Ranger Huckster" was a dead
> give away ;D).  And the Book o' the Dead mentioned Harrowed
> Rangers.  Would they have Blessed Rangers as well?

         Since we've already established the existence of a Confederate
Chaplain Corps, my assumption was that any Blessed in service to the CSA
government would be assigned there. Lone Stars does talk at length about
how the CCC and the Rangers now co-ordinate their operations, however.

>    To all reading: I mean no offense to anyone (especially Mr.
> McGlothlin).  I also egerally await the release of Lone Stars (perhaps
> balancing the Agency: Men in Black Dusters), and cannot wait to see what
> Mr. McGlothlin has instore.

         No offense at all taken, good sir, and thank you for your kind
words. I've certainly no monopoly on the truth, and disagreements are
always most welcome (and appreciated!).

>P.S. -
>   Does anyone think it would be a bad thing for an Operative/Ranger to
> have knowledge of patchwork science?

         Do you mean an ability to recognize it, which would make sense for
a Ranger, or an ability to practice it, which Lost Angels describes as
bathing in pure, concentrated evil?

>   Perhpas they would be viewed as a wildcard or loose cannon?

         The former would make them a valuable commodity, the latter would
get them a bullet.

         Hope this helps!

Deo Vindice,
Mr. Christopher L. McGlothlin, M.Ed.